boys live here

so, what have I been doing this week?

short answer: J and Reese live here now.

long answer:

saturday J and Reese arrived and we spent the weekend working on getting my house ready, getting some big stuff up in the attic & etc.

monday after dismantling my bed, we drove to Va. it was cold and raining and after we arrived we took the dog for a particularly miserable walk in Port Warwick.

tuesday we picked up a u-haul and spent the day filling it. the weather was dry but I was quite unprepared for how cold it had become.

wednesday our plan was to dismantle J’s bed, pack it and leave by 1pm. that didn’t happen. we didn’t have time tuesday to finish packing everything so we needed extra time on wednesday. we wound up leaving town at 4:30pm. J drove the U-haul and i drove J’s car with Reese in the back.

the drive was uneventful, which was a relief. no rain, no problems with the rental.

we got to my house around 8pm. i remembered that the movers who moved me into my house had backed their truck up on my lawn and run a ramp from the truck to my front stoop, like a gangplank going over the steps. we decided to try this as it would make unloading far less difficult.

unfortunately after a long day of packing and driving, in the dark, i was not really up to the task of guiding the truck into place. nothing bad really happened, we both just got kind of frustrated during the process. but J did a great job anyway of wedging the truck between the oak tree and the stoop without crushing my lamppost.

we unloaded the bed and set it up, ordered pizza and called it a (very long and tiring) day.

thursday we unloaded the truck, which was a breeze compared to loading it. the only problem really was where to put all the boxes. currently the back bedroom and dining room hold most of them. of course, the next problem is where to put everything after it’s unpacked. i’ve gotten rid of tons of stuff this year, and especially this month, but we both still have too much stuff for this house.

anyway, the truck was duly returned on thursday to that bombed-out looking u-haul depot on chapel hill blvd (actually a pretty efficient operation) and it’s official, the boys live here now!

yesterday we had kind of a slack morning (after a week of hectic ones) ran some errands, did some minor halloween decorating in the front yard and some unpacking, then entertained trick-or-treaters for a few hours.

we set up in the front yard again this year which i think is a good way to do it. we used my fire pit with hardwood charcoal to keep warm and drank hot cider. this worked pretty well, except that no one knows how to get into my yard. the driveway doesn’t offer a very even surface to walk on (and is blocked by our many cars) and the front yard has a brick wall that’s just barely too high for most people to negotiate comfortably.

i had far fewer trick-or-treaters this year than last year, which was kind of a bummer. on the up side, the vast majority were little kids in nicely thought out costumes, and zero hulking teenage boys with no costume, which is pretty much a reversal of ten years ago when i first moved into this house.

this morning we went to daisy cakes for breakfast and then the farmer’s market. i had a “pop t’art” which is basically homemade pie crust with seedless raspberry jam in the middle. so freaking great. and their coffee is fantastic, too. and it’s all served out of an airstream trailer!!

J heads back up to Va tomorrow for a few appointments and to vote on Tuesday. I never early voted so I’ll be going in on Tuesday morning early and will just be prepared to wait it out as long as I have to. It should be exciting.