So this bug has plagued us from the very beginning: sometimes, members of the dev team would notice that our nice web font and custom icon font would not load. The web font would fall back to a system font so most folks never notice this. The icon font didn’t have a fallback, though, so it would render little boxes where icons should be. Annoying!
We noticed that it never seemed to happen in IE, so we figured that the reason only the team ever noticed it was because most other users use IE around here.
Our business contact finally complained about it. She had started using Chrome more often and had started noticing the issue with the icons. Today I finally set about getting to the bottom of this thing for once and all.